Sorta Songlines

I love you baby, but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me

He made a Ramblin' Man.

Some folks might say that I'm no good

That I wouldn't settle down if I could

But when that open road starts to callin' me

There's somethin' o'er the hill that I gotta see

Sometimes it's hard but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me, He made a Ramblin' Man.

~ Hank Williams Sr.

Friday, November 3

St. Louis, MO

Well, as many of you have noticed, it’s been awhile since I have written, at least in this blog. I stopped in St. Louis for the better part of a week and had a great time. St. Louis is what K.C. likes to think it is. It’s a real city with things to do, yet unlike many real cities, you can find parking. I stayed with my friend L.C. and we managed not to get on each other’s nerves too much despite an apartment definitely designed for one. Actually, I might have gotten on her nerves a bunch and she’s just too gracious to let on. I envy her, she’s got a direction in life, a goal. I’ve got a car with weird issues and a road atlas. Oh well, maybe I’ll have one of those goal thingy’s one day. If I do I think I’ll name it Baxter.

I got to finally have Movie Day. In the lovely land of Big Piney the closest real movie theater is (drum-roll please) 100 miles away. I went and watched “The Prestige” and it was great. Christian Bale was solid as always and Hugh Jackman at least didn’t ruin it. After that I saw “The Departed”. Pretty much every big-name, tough-guy male actor was in it and they did surprisingly well together. Usually this many big names in one movie ends up as a chest-thumping ego-fest. Special kudos go to Mark Wahlberg and Jack Nicholson. My only complaint was the deus ex machina inserted near the end. The disappointment of the day was “Flags of Our Fathers”. Shameless pandering by Clint Eastwood. Had the movie focused more on Ira Hayes it might have found a more original voice. As it was, I got the feeling I’d seen this movie before. Also, I’m tired of WWII films, but at least I didn't pay for this movie.

If any of you are thinking of attempting a Movie Day, I have a few tips for you. 1) Movie Days are best attempted solo. It is rare for any two people to agree on 3-4 movies to see all in one day. 2) Before you enter, write down the times of all the movies you might possibly decide to see. This makes it easier to sneak from one theater to the next all day. 3) If time must be killed betwixt movies, find a bathroom stall and learn to play some of those games your cell phone came with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home