Sorta Songlines

I love you baby, but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me

He made a Ramblin' Man.

Some folks might say that I'm no good

That I wouldn't settle down if I could

But when that open road starts to callin' me

There's somethin' o'er the hill that I gotta see

Sometimes it's hard but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me, He made a Ramblin' Man.

~ Hank Williams Sr.

Wednesday, October 25

NYC


New York for at least 2 years. That’s how I answer the “where would you live if you won the lottery?” question. As a non-lottery winner I don’t think I have the energy to work the hours it would take for me to pay the rent there. The whole city is amazing, though.

I saw the Guggenheim (disappointing), the MoMA (spectacular, perhaps the best art museum I’ve ever seen) and the Whitney (if you like Edward Hopper (and I do) this is a must-see). Of the three, the MoMA was the only one that allowed photography and after spending a few hours there I wish they didn’t. I watched hordes of middle-aged white guys rushing from masterpiece to masterpiece trying to calm their Starbucks twitch long enough snap a pic with their camera-phones with scant interest in actually experiencing the beauty and genius of great art.

“Hey Bill, you still got that ‘Starry Night’ on your phone?”

“Hell yeah, check out this shit.”

Other than that I walked around and people watched a lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home