Sorta Songlines

I love you baby, but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me

He made a Ramblin' Man.

Some folks might say that I'm no good

That I wouldn't settle down if I could

But when that open road starts to callin' me

There's somethin' o'er the hill that I gotta see

Sometimes it's hard but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me, He made a Ramblin' Man.

~ Hank Williams Sr.

Monday, October 16

I-90


Well, drove from Wabasha, MN to the first Pennsylvania exit off of I-90 before I finally gave in to the sandman. Its important to know one’s limitations. Knowing when one is too tired to drive is a delicate thing. After many thousands of road trip miles I have learned the subtle warning signs. For example, when I begin reading highway signs out loud, I have a few hours of driving muscle left. Once I begin doing it in a British accent, it’s T-minus 59 minutes. When I start scolding myself in the voice of an angry southern motivational speaker (Dammit Ryan! Hands at 10 and 2, watch that semi over there, pay attention man!), that’s what I call my 2 minute warning – if I don’t bring the car to a stop within two minutes, it’ll probably be stopped in two and a half minutes whether I like it or not.

I’m in New England now, the plan is to get to Maine by tomorrow and head south from there. Unfortunately there is not much camping up here (most campgrounds are closed for the season) so I’m trying to speed up a little and get back west before I spend too much on motels.

Note: The photo is in West New York, thats Lake Erie in the back of the vinyard.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn dude, you are racking up the miles! I thought you were supposed to take it easy and actually enjoy the trip. Spend at least two days in a cool city. Eat good food and drink good beer. Who knows what will happen tomorrow. Enjoy the ride...

When you're in Maine, Kim says to eat at The Lobster Pound on Rt 1 in Lincolnville. She worked there for 3 summers. Cappy's Chowder House in Camden is also good.

4:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home