Sorta Songlines

I love you baby, but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me

He made a Ramblin' Man.

Some folks might say that I'm no good

That I wouldn't settle down if I could

But when that open road starts to callin' me

There's somethin' o'er the hill that I gotta see

Sometimes it's hard but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me, He made a Ramblin' Man.

~ Hank Williams Sr.

Wednesday, December 20

Plaskett Creek, CA


Driving up a coastline is dangerous in the daytime. The ocean tugs at your eyes when you need most to be taming that twitchy road. After an hour of riding the asphalt wave I had to stop and let my head untwist and where I stopped is a campground near enough to hear the waves crashing on the rocks.

Most nights since I left Big Piney I look up at some point and find Orion, the Hunter. It’s the only constellation I know and I’ve known it since I was young. I’d lie on a raft in the backyard pool for so long that I’d dry out watching Orion creep across the sky, hunting the moon. It sounds silly, but his name sounds like mine so I’ve always felt a connection. I’m a hunter too, I guess, this trip is a hunting trip. My quarry doesn’t have a name yet, but I think I’ve stumbled onto its trail.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too look up every night to find Orion in the night sky.... it was my big brother who once took the time to show me where to find it.
- M -

5:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home