Sorta Songlines

I love you baby, but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me

He made a Ramblin' Man.

Some folks might say that I'm no good

That I wouldn't settle down if I could

But when that open road starts to callin' me

There's somethin' o'er the hill that I gotta see

Sometimes it's hard but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me, He made a Ramblin' Man.

~ Hank Williams Sr.

Saturday, November 25

Erie, KS


I was planning on just stopping for the night then heading southwest. As it turns out, I’m stopping for a couple nights and then heading southeast. That’s what I get for making plans.

Truth is, this is what I needed to remind me of something I forgot back when I was young. I don’t have the words for it yet, just the taste of it in my mouth. Occasionally and for no apparent reason a line (usually just half-remembered) from a poem will pop into my head. Sitting beneath the stars a line from a Dylan Thomas poem is flitting about.

“…Nothing I cared, in the lamb white days, that time would take me
Up to the swallow thronged loft by the shadow of my hand,
In the moon that is always rising,
Nor that riding to sleep
I should hear him fly with the high fields
And wake to the farm forever fled from the childless land.
Oh as I was young and easy in the mercy of his means,
Time held me green and dying
Though I sang in my chains like the sea.” ~ D. Thomas

I arrived at my ex-half-sister-in-law’s house and was planning on spending a night and moving on when my ex-half-sister-in-law LS asked (half jokingly) if I could go help HS (my ex-half-niece) move back from Orlando. My initial reaction was, of course, huh? Then I spent about 4 ½ minutes thinking it over before I remembered the unemployed-traveler-with-no-real-need-to-be-anywhere-anytime-soon credo, ‘Why Not’?

So I stripped all the extra seats out of the beast, packed a bag of essentials, and hit the road. This of course was after I had taken a couple nights to enjoy the amenities: wi-fi and a hot tub. I don’t have to be there until Thursday morning so I can take my time getting there.

Wow, that was a hyphen-laden post.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home