Sorta Songlines

I love you baby, but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me

He made a Ramblin' Man.

Some folks might say that I'm no good

That I wouldn't settle down if I could

But when that open road starts to callin' me

There's somethin' o'er the hill that I gotta see

Sometimes it's hard but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me, He made a Ramblin' Man.

~ Hank Williams Sr.

Thursday, December 7

Paducah, TX


It’s cold here. Leaving Kansas I drove south for a long time trying to get warm and apparently I failed. There are parts of Texas that stay relatively warm, even in December, but Paducah isn’t one. I imagine I could head down towards Galveston and find a mere tolerable chill, but I won’t.

I’m staying in Matador Wildlife Management Area, and I’m not supposed to be. At the self-check-in station there was a sign stating that the campsites were for quail hunters only, but I have chosen to disregard that sign. I figure there is every chance that tomorrow I may be unable to swerve in time and may accidentally run over a quail. While that’s not exactly “hunting”, the result would be the same… a dead quail. That would be the important thing, right? I would have rid the world of one more dangerous critter deserving of death. And, like hunters, I would have done it with a whole lot of modern technology against a decidedly un-modern foe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home