Sorta Songlines

I love you baby, but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me

He made a Ramblin' Man.

Some folks might say that I'm no good

That I wouldn't settle down if I could

But when that open road starts to callin' me

There's somethin' o'er the hill that I gotta see

Sometimes it's hard but you gotta understand

When the Lord made me, He made a Ramblin' Man.

~ Hank Williams Sr.

Thursday, November 30

Hammond Beach, FL


This is amazing. I said before this all began that I didn’t really have a point to this trip, but of course that’s a lie. The truth is the point of this trip can’t really be captured with words. Its sort of on the tip of my mind. I don’t think I’m looking for answers as much as I’m looking for the right questions to ask. Laying on the beach I feel like I’m getting closer to the questions. Hopefully I’ll figure something out before I get back to Wyoming. At my current pace I should be there by 2011.

I spent the day relaxing on the beach, drinking cheap red wine and watching skittish little crabs digging out their holes. When nighttime came I made friends with the four guys camped next to me. This was probably the most social I have been with strangers since the trip began. We drank their beer, ate hot dogs sans buns, smoked cigars and discussed all the usual topics: women, classic cars, traveling and sports.

The next morning I was up in time to watch the sun rise over the ocean. How does one describe such a thing? One doesn’t. All one can do is say its something everyone should see at least once in their life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home